MEET THE PLASTIC SURGEON
Dr. Michael Gartner is fully certified as a plastic surgeon by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is also fully certified as a general surgeon by the American Board of Surgery. As a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, he is one of the few plastic surgeons in the country who have Double Board Certification. Dr. Gartner is world renowned as an innovator in the field of aesthetic plastic surgery. He has refined his surgical techniques to provide a less invasive approach, so you won’t have to deal with lengthy, overly uncomfortable recovery periods.
Dr. Gartner received his medical degree from the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. He completed a one-year rotating internship at Atlantic Medical Center, where he was the Chief Intern, followed by a five-year General Surgery residency at Monmouth Medical Center in Long Branch, New Jersey, during which he was the Chief Resident in his final year. After an initial interest in cardiothoracic surgery, Dr. Gartner pursued plastic surgery instead not only because of the diversity in surgical procedures, but also because it appealed to his artistic and creative sensibilities. To complement his training, he also trained for an additional year in Hand and Microsurgery at the world renowned Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia.
Facts About Dr. Gartner
- Dr. Gartner is Double Board Certified in plastic surgery and general surgery. This means that he has extensive knowledge of all areas of the body, from superficial soft tissues to internal organs, and has been trained to perform surgical procedures that target both areas for therapeutic and cosmetic improvement. As a result of this, he can handle very complex cases, including any complications that you may have experienced from other cosmetic surgeons.
- Dr. Gartner refines surgical techniques to make procedures less traumatic for the patient and reduce the length of the recovery period. For example, it is the standard for general anesthesia to be administered during such procedures as breast augmentation, breast reduction and liposuction.
However, with the advanced techniques Dr. Gartner has designed, suitable patients may choose to have these procedures under local anesthetic instead. Not only does this eliminate the risks related to general anesthesia, you may find that you’ll experience far less pain and discomfort during your recovery, and you’ll see your optimal results faster as well.
What makes Dr. Gartner Unique
- Dr. Gartner is a meticulous surgeon. From your first consultation to the surgery and recovery, he takes the time to listen to your needs and devises a treatment plan that can achieve your expectations and goals. The surgical techniques he applies are to help you see your desired results quickly, without compromising your safety. As such, he takes precautionary measures to reduce the risk of complications. For example, the average rate of capsular contracture following breast augmentation typically ranges from 4% to 25%. Dr. Gartner’s rate is 1%-2% due to his meticulous nature.
- Dr. Gartner employs preemptive anesthesia, a technique designed to reduce the perceived trauma to the body. This allows you to recover more quickly and with less discomfort.
- Dr. Gartner has conducted research in the fields of biology and medicine. This research appears in several peer-reviewed publications as well as textbooks.
Dr. Gartner has been repeatedly selected by Consumer’s Research Council of America as a top plastic surgeon in the country, as listed in Guide to America’s Top Plastic Surgeons, editions dating from 2004-2013, as well as NJ Top Docs from 2013 to 2015. He is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, New York Regional Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons, American College of Surgeons, American College of Surgeons New Jersey Chapter, American Medical Association, Cambridge Who’s Who and Strathmore’s Who’s Who. Dr. Gartner has hospital affiliations with the Valley Hospital (Ridgewood, NJ), Paramus Surgery Center (Paramus, NJ) and Tri State Surgery Center.
Dr. Gartner remains up to date with the latest in aesthetic plastic surgery, remaining on the cusp of advancements not only in the US, but in other countries as well. As a matter of fact, Dr. Gartner was one of the first plastic surgeons in the country to perform Brazilian Butt Lifts, a procedure that he learned about while on a trip to South America performing charitable work for the national organization, Healing the Children. This happened over a decade ago, when the term, “Brazilian Butt Lift” didn’t even exist!
Dr. Gartner refined the procedure by adding an extra step in the surgical process: purifying harvested fat with a handheld centrifuge. Doing so improves the longevity of the fat and its ability to “take” to the buttocks, making it an essential part of the surgery that is now routinely performed by other plastic surgeons today. In addition, when Dr. Gartner re-injects the fat to sculpt the buttocks, he uses a micro droplet technique that further improves longevity of results.
Dr. Gartner has volunteered his services to enrich the lives of others in need, at home and abroad, most notably for Healing the Children. Healing the Children provides critical healthcare to children in urgent need. As a native New Yorker who was raised in New Jersey, Dr. Gartner is a proud member of the community of Bergen County where he currently resides with his wife and four children. In his spare time, he enjoys painting and playing active sports with his children. He is also an avid skiier and member of a local men’s hockey league. Dr. Gartner established Gartner Plastic Surgery and Laser Center in 2008 and Tri-State Surgery Center.