Tummy Tuck NYC
Those who consider a tummy tuck in NYC have often tried everything else to get their smooth, flat midsection back. No matter how faithfully you follow a balanced diet and exercise plan, your belly may be fighting against you. Also known as abdominoplasty, this cosmetic surgery is designed to take care of what you can’t, and restore layers of tissue that contribute to a slim waist and firm abdomen. The variety of people who benefit from a tummy tuck in NYC at Dr. Michael Gartner’s clinic are both men and women of all backgrounds. Let’s take a closer look at this versatile, transformative figure-reshaper.
NYC tummy tuck- What can it achieve?
- After your abdominal sculpting procedure, you can expect:
- A smoother, flatter stomach
- Correction of diastasis recti to reduce a protruding abdomen and strengthen muscles
- Removal of stubborn pockets of fat on the belly or love handles
- Reduced stretch marks and skin wrinkles in the treatment area
- Clothing that fits better
- A slimmer waist
- A reconstructed belly button ( with a standard tummy tuck in NYC)
YOUR GUIDE TUMMY TUCK NYC
Along with a smoother midsection and slimmer waist, a tummy tuck in NYC comes with a few other changes you should expect. Your plastic surgeon will provide you with specific guidelines and instructions according to your unique situation. In general, tummy tuck patients will contend with the following:
Dr. Michael Gartner will make an incision on your lower abdomen regardless of the type of abdominoplasty you choose. Whether a standard/full tummy tuck, mini or hybrid version, each method of cosmetic surgery for the abdomen requires a lengthy incision. Most people would like to avoid visible scarring. Luckily, this incision and the subsequent scar can be placed low on the abdomen, below the underwear or swimsuit line. Modern techniques for suturing skin edges with minimal tension and the absence of staples mean you can have the thinnest, most discreet scar possible.
Expect to walk and stand a little hunched over for the first 3-5 days post-tummy tuck in NYC. Due to the tension in your abdomen, you’ll need to avoid walking and standing fully upright, so you don’t pull at your abdominal incision.
Expect to take time off and enjoy a few low-key weeks after your tummy tuck. Depending on the extent of your procedure, you may be advised to take between 1 – 2 weeks off, however, some patients will benefit from a longer recovery time. Depending on your usual daily activities and job requirements, you may need a modified work schedule or extra help with child and pet care. Post-abdominoplasty, heavy lifting, long periods of sitting or standing, bending entirely over, or anything that strains your core will be off-limits for a time.
Expect various sensations. While not painful, these can be unexpected for some patients. If you’ve had a diastasis rectus repair ( muscle tightening), then you’ll likely feel tightness in your midsection for at least a few weeks.
Expect some numbness or tingling while healing after NYC tummy tucks. Due to the substantial incision on the lower abdomen, possible liposuction, and tension of the frontal skin, it’s normal to experience these nerve-related sensations while healing. Though the majority of swelling or discomfort resolves in the first two weeks, many people feel intermittent tingling or numbness that lasts several weeks until the nerves regenerate.
Expect to be patient for your final reveal. You’ll see encouraging changes in the first few weeks, but the complete results take several months in some cases.
Specialized techniques that make Dr. Gartner sought after for abdominoplasty in NYC
Liposuction and tummy tucks in NYC often go together. Dr. Gartner stays ahead of the curve and up to date on the latest aesthetic medicine studies. Though combining liposuction and tummy tuck surgery was once considered to be risky for the patient, many studies, including; Lipo-abdominoplasty: A versatile and safe technique for abdominal contouring have shown that liposuction in skilled hands can drastically reduce complication rates and improve aesthetic results. For this reason, Dr. Gartner utilizes liposuction for deep fat layers which aren’t addressed through tummy tuck alone.
Banish love handles
When choosing Dr. Gartner as your NYC tummy tuck surgeon, you’ll also have the option to reduce “love handles” and “muffin top,” once and for all. These areas are not usually treated with traditional abdominoplasty techniques. That means rather than just flattening the front and creating a boxy look, those who wish for an hourglass shape can finally achieve it!
Dr. Gartner asks his NYC tummy tuck patients to bring their favorite underwear and bikini bottoms to put on before surgery. He’ll use your preferred style and fit, as much as possible, to plan an incision which sits evenly below the bikini and not wider than the leg holes.
Improved belly button shape
Dr. Gartner pays extra attention to natural-looking belly buttons resembling an upright oval rather than perfectly round or horizontal. This shape is considered more youthful and desirable for his patients. The study; Computer-Aided Analysis of the “Beautiful” Umbilicus outlines aesthetically pleasing umbilicus formation during abdominoplasty.
Drainless tummy tucks/Progressive Tension Sutures (PST)
Dr. Gartner uses progressive tension sutures (PST) when appropriate to tightly connect tissue layers with quilted suturing under the surface. This eliminates spaces between your skin and underlying tissue, which could cause a seroma or hematoma (fluid build up.) PST places less tension on the incision skin, which helps to improve blood flow and ensure a thin, discrete scar. One drain (or two if necessary) may be placed to reduce the risk of seroma if deemed necessary during the procedure.
Ideal patients can be men or women of all ages.
- It’s a significant surgery and requires good health plus realistic expectations about recovery and discomfort while healing.
- They should be realistic about the improvement, not “perfection” that can be achieved through surgery.
- They should be in good overall health with no bleeding or clotting issues, no autoimmune or other medical problems that could interfere with healing.
- They should be at a healthy, stable body weight.
- They should not be pregnant or breastfeeding and will usually be advised to wait at least six months after stopping.
- They should have a clear understanding of risks and limitations associated with surgery and recovery and able to follow instructions carefully.
- They should be prepared to take two weeks off work.
- They should prepare to pause their gym membership and strenuous activity for a short time. ( You can work out again in about three weeks. However, tummy tuck patients wait at least six weeks for weightlifting.)
Note* It’s essential that clients know, a tummy tuck in NYC isn’t designed for weight loss. You may undoubtedly slim and tone the abdominal area, but the primary purpose for liposuction of the waist is to sculpt and contour, not remove significant fat. You may weigh slightly less after surgery, and this would be due to excess skin removal and minimal fat.
Your consultation is the most critical step
You may be considering what a tummy tuck can do for you months and even years before booking that first appointment.
- We encourage you to schedule your consultation with Dr. Gartner and know that it’s a no-obligation, pressure-free way to gather the personalized feedback and information you need.
- Reviewing before and after photos online helps fuel inspiration, but also leads to more questions in many cases.
- The best way to learn about pros and cons and find out precisely what your best options are is to meet with an expert in person.
- Your private consultation with Dr. Gartner will allow you to be honest and frank, share your goals and concerns.
- Bring a list of questions if you wish, and even bring a friend.
- The tummy tuck procedure will be explained, along with other options that may help you achieve your dreams of revitalized body shape.
During the consultation, you’ll be asked questions about your health history to make sure the surgery is safe for you. Dr. Gartner’s practice is one of the top 10 in all New York. For tummy tucks in NYC, he’s renowned as not just a double board-certified expert plastic surgeon, but a body contouring and tummy tuck specialist. Call, write or come in today and let him help you reclaim your shape.
You can see the state-of-the-art surgical facility where Dr. Gartner’s procedures are done. We are fully accredited by the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities (AAAASF). This is the highest standard any ambulatory center can obtain in the country.
Can liposuction without a tummy tuck in NYC give satisfying results?
- Some patients who have firm, elastic skin on their abdomen may target stubborn fat in this area using liposuction alone. Here’s why this approach is not usually sufficient for post-baby bellies, or after weight loss:
- All manner of exercise, creams and non-surgical treatments are marketed as ‘tightening’. Other than mild surface effects, these options will typically disappoint someone with severely stretched skin.
- Think of your skin layers as fabric. Once damaged and stretched excessively, surgically removing the excess with precision reshaping techniques will be the only effective way to restore tightness. With weight loss over 40-50 pounds, people often see incomplete skin retraction.
- Likewise, stretch marks can’t be removed without excising the affected skin. Through a tummy tuck in NYC, stretch marks on the lower abdomen are often eliminated, while those on surrounding skin will be pulled tighter and somewhat smoother after surgery.
How is the tummy tuck done with Dr. Gartner?
Abdominoplasty can be performed a few different ways.
- In all cases, the goal is flatter, smoother abdominal contours.
- In most cases, lower abdominal skin will be removed, a small amount of fat may be removed, muscles will be pulled together if necessary, and tissue will be pulled down to a horizontal lower abdominal incision.
- This elective, cosmetic surgery is done with a general anesthetic and may require between 2-3 hours.
How much does an NYC tummy tuck cost?
Your total surgical quote for a tummy tuck will contain numerous elements and depend on a few factors. Your existing anatomy and the degree of complexity required for your procedure are factors. Additional work using liposuction will also vary between patients. Generally, the surgeon’s fee, the surgical facility fee, and anesthesiologist’s fee will be included in your total price. You can also expect all your pre and post-operative appointments to be included. Ask your plastic surgeon to clarify what is covered by your total cost and if additional fees for medications or garments will need to be paid separately.
Because the substantial, one-time payment for cosmetic surgery can be challenging to manage for many, there are several reputable medical financing companies which can offset the expense through small, monthly payments. Just let us know if you’re interested in financing options and we’ll help connect you to the resources many of our clients use.
Why choose a Tummy Tuck in NYC
With age and stress, your body will gradually stop producing collagen and elastin, which are proteins necessary for healthy, toned skin.Depending on the quality of your skin elasticity, you could have a tummy that develops stretch marks or doesn’t bounce back after weight loss. Women often deal with both the surface damage of stretch marks and the laxity of abdominal skin after pregnancy. Also, abdominal muscles which run vertically may be stretched apart so much during pregnancy that they don’t come back together, leaving a perpetual protrusion. For those who are working hard to get fit and strengthen their core post-pregnancy, muscle separation ( known as rectus diastasis) can impede progress and leave a bulging silhouette, no matter how much they work out. For men and women who do the work of losing significant body weight, an unfortunate remainder is often skin hanging at the lower abdomen, which doesn’t bounce back.
Best Ways to Lose Fat
Diet, exercise or bariatric (massive weight loss) surgery are still the best ways to lose overall fat and reduce BMI. As well, the fat collected around internal organs, which causes a full middle and protruding belly cannot be removed with liposuction. Intra-abdominal or visceral fat is contained deep underneath the muscles, and this unhealthy fat only comes off the old-fashioned way. If you plan to diet, Dr. Gartner advises you to maintain your optimal weight for at least a few months before considering surgery. That way, you’ll not only be safer and healthier but enjoy your results long term.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Each patient’s tummy tuck recovery is unique to them, depending on their procedure plus expectations. If you don’t need muscles repaired, your recovery will likely be easier and quicker. Most patients having a standard tummy tuck will have separated abdominal muscles pulled tightly back together. They’ll need to stay positioned slightly bent at the waist for a few days post-op and will avoid activities that place strain on abdominal muscles for 6 weeks. Patients can return to light work and driving a car by roughly 1 week in many cases. Pain isn’t described as severe, but a feeling of tension or pressure will take weeks to subside. Nerves continue to regenerate over several months, and most people see results with minimal swelling and faded scars by 6-8 months.
There’s more than one type of tummy tuck in NYC, so the best one for you depends on your needs and preferences. If your skin is relatively toned, then you may achieve the smoother, flatter tummy you want with a short scar and minimal tissue removal. Mini tummy tucks don’t address any abdominal tissue above the navel. On the other hand, if you have significant belly skin and separated muscles (diastasis rectus), a longer incision from hip-to-hip usually allows thorough smoothing, umbilicus reconstruction and muscle repair.
Many patients choose to have supplementary liposuction added to their abdominoplasty. It allows the plastic surgeon to remove some stubborn “love handle” fat and reshape the abdomen. Talk to your surgeon about body contouring during your tummy tuck consultation. After your procedure, you’ll need to watch your diet and maintain a healthy amount of exercise that keeps the waist and belly trim.
The stretch marks present on skin that is removed disappears completely. The remaining stretch marks on upper abdominal skin will be smoothed and stretched somewhat, which diminishes their appearance.
Many people consider a tummy tuck because they want to slim their waist and ditch their rolls. It’s a cosmetic surgery designed to help improve contours, but not for weight loss. Typically, post-bariatric patients see measurable weight loss after a tummy tuck just because their excess skin has significant weight. If you have intraabdominal fat to lose, ( behind the abdominal wall) you’ll need to reduce it the old-fashioned way with diet and exercise. Shedding extra pounds before your abdominoplasty will help ensure you get optimal results. A benefit to excess skin removal is that many people find it more comfortable to exercise once they’ve healed, and their workout clothing fits better.
No guarantees of any kind unless they are money-back guarantees. No claims of permanent results. No “Miracle cures” for medical ailments.*